november: extracurriculars: success outside the classroom
Main Points of Class
- Extracurricular activities are very helpful for developing a well-balanced personality and strong character. Spend time thinking about which to do.
- These activities can also help you discover potential professions that fit your personality and talents well.
In-class activity: "Follow Your Passion" Is Bad Advice
- The purpose of this activity is to teach the students the importance of focusing on one specific task for the sake of retaining information and teach them that learning how to work well leads individuals to find happiness in their professional work.
- Students watch a video by Cal Newport (an expert on academic and career success) titled ‘Follow Your Passion’ Is Bad Advice, and they are asked to try to retain as much information without taking notes.
- Since the students are focused only on the video, they find that they retain a significant amount of information, and this encourages them to practice focusing on one task at home.
- Fill out the Extracurricular Worksheet and discuss with your mentor.
- Review with your mentor how extracurricular activities fit into your weekly schedule.
- Complete a Monthly Goals Sheet.